The Belief Gambit
This experience is:
for 1 person
1 hour long
- Set up a quiet setting where you won’t be disturbed. Make sure you are relaxed and have whatever you need (a cup of coffee, a snack, a backscratcher, etc.) in order to be able to remain focused without having to leave for 30 minutes.
- Get a piece of paper and a pen.
- Make a list of 10-30 things you believe. They could be political: “X politician is going to ruin the world”, personal: “I am meant to be a teacher”, philosophical:”The most important thing in life is being good to others”, or factual: “the world is round.”
- Find the item on the list you are least certain of. Look at it. Consider how you might be wrong. If you can find a credible counter-argument – one you might be able to believe eventually – cross it out.
- Repeat step 5 until you’ve crossed out as many as you can. Do your best to be unsparing. Can you cross them all out?
- Crumple up the paper and throw it away. Walk outside. Is the world any different?
- Send any observations you have about the experience to: