Disintegration of Form
This experience is:
for 2 people
aesthetic, relational, musical, conversational
- Make a date with a friend to come cook and eat a meal.
- When you and the friend are cooking, play a piece of music by Bach, or Debussy loud enough so that it doesn’t become background music. We recommend Claire de Lune by Debussy, on repeat.
- Note how cooking consists of breaking whole objects into parts and then assembling them into new wholes.
- Eat your meal. Have a conversation about:
- the proliferation of media outlets
- free verse poetry verses rhymed and metered poetry
- or some other aspect of life in which you witness the disintegration of form
- Over dessert, listen to John Cage’s In a Landscape.
- Send any observations you have about the experience to:
This concept – the observation of the disintegration of form – was the basis of Odyssey Works’ 2011 performance The Midden of Possibility