This experience is:
for 1-2 People
1 hour long
- This may be executed alone or with a partner, but you should work in silence. Begin by gathering two bags of rice – one white rice bag and one black rice bag.
- Pour the contents of the bag out over a large table. With your hands, mix the two types of rice together.
- Take a photo.
- Using only your fingers, unmix the rice. Make piles of each kind of rice and be sure to keep them separate. While you are doing this, do not let your mind wander – be completely in the activity.
- When you have finished, take a photo of the piles.
- The next day, compare the two photos of the rice. Try to remember the effort that it took to move from one state to the other.
- Send any observations you have about the experience to:firstname.lastname@example.org
Odyssey Works variant based on work by Marina Abramovic